Coconut oil has become an absolute staple in my life recently. I use it every single day in different ways from health and beauty to cleaning. If someone took my beloved jar of the stuff away, I would truly be at a loss in life. And seeing as it is so important to me, I thought I would share the ways in which I use it.
1. Oil Pulling. I recently purchased a 14 day trial of Cocowhite, a simple mix of coconut oil and flavouring to get me into the habit of oil pulling. I have written a whole other post here on my results.
2. Piercing after-care. I have a few piercings, the most recent being a nipple piercing which I have spoken about in another post. Coconut oil has supposed antibacterial properties plus it’s moisturising so win win.
3. Make-up remover. A little goes a long way on a cotton pad. It’s great for removing tricky eye make-up, especially as the oil is gentle but effective. I usually then use a dry pad to remove any excess, as the oil can make it tricky for concealer to stick and not slide down by face over the course of the day.
4. Skin Moisturiser. Two words. Miracle. Worker. Coconut oil has pretty much replaced all my other moisturisers. I add a couple of drops of an essential oil like grapefruit, massage it into my skin and end up soft as a week-old kitten (that’s super soft).
5. Cooking. Coconut oil is great for high heat cooking and doesn’t just have to go in foods like Thai curry. I made a copy-cat Wild Food Cafe recipe for sweet potato wedges cooked in coconut oil which was delish and felt much healthier than smothering them in olive or sunflower oil.
6. Energy drinks. And smoothies! I often use coconut milk for smoothies because it is healthier than regular milk and gives it a beautiful, sweet flavour. Coconut oil gives the body quick energy with healthy fats, rather than using sugar.
7. Hair. I use coconut oil as both a leave in conditioner and a wash-out treatment and my hair has never been so soft. It’s also a great de-tangler for my super knotty hair and hugely reduces breakage which my curly hair is highly prone to.
8. Wood furniture polish. Okay, I must say I don’t do this often. I saw it in an article and thought ‘oo that’s handy’ and because I had some oil to hand, tried it out on a patch of my wooden wardrobe. It did somewhat restore the wood but as it isn’t a piece of furniture that I hold close to my heart, I can’t really be bothered to polish the whole thing. Definitely a trick to remember when I have my own place though.
9. Home-made candles. Coconut oil is a great carrier oil for scents. I use essential oils from Holland and Barrett in an oil burner and the smells waft all over the house. I feel this is a much healthier and cleaner method than artificial candles that use numerous chemicals.
10. Shaving. I used to use straight forward conditioner to shave my legs until I switched to coconut oil. It leaves my skin really soft and smooth. Just gotta remember to clean the razor with hot hot water so that it doesn’t get blunt too quickly.
What other ways do you use coconut oil in your life? I am always looking for new suggestions!